If you feel unsatisfied or restless about your job, or you just wake up every day with the anxiety of you continuing your life with the way you earn your living right now, I don’t think you are alone in that. Millions of people also feel this way.
When it comes to the way we earn our living or make money, there is no easy way to it. Left to people, do you know what they really want?
Something like no early morning alarm, time freedom, unlimited income and fun, having no Boss, no compromise or office politics.
Yeah, it is impossible except you are an internet marketer, blogger, investor or professional Network Marketer or any other jobs that involves working from home like mine. Although these jobs also have their own downsides as well, like not being able to separate your job from personal life, but I can’t give it up for anything.
In a corporate settings, an individual could be very ambitious, energetic, highly motivated and full of ideas (just a perfect reminder of myself as a young graduate few years back now), and still face a downside.
Yes, there is a downside to being an achiever and being an employee, if you are fortunate to have a good job.
When you display your zealous attitude towards work too often, then don’t expect your superiors to just keep watching and not see you as a threat to their own positions. I believe you know what I mean here.
I have once attended an interview where I was asked “If you found yourself in a situation whereby your Boss keeps taking credit for your hard work, what would you do?”
So, dear reader, what would you do?
You would always be wise enough to stick to the first law of power “never outshine the master”.
Your Boss, on the other hand, would keep holding on to the seventh law of power that says “Get others to do the work for you, but always take the credit”. So, you are on your own.
So this is why most people in the corporate setting are only looking to survive. They don’t have any ambition. They do not bother to speak up in meetings or bring up new ideas. They are just there- to survive.
In the situation whereby you are not satisfied with the above arrangement, then you must be ready to embrace the spirit of a politician.
If you are not ok with your boss standing in the way of your “shining”, then you must be ready to navigate through this political corporate war by simply strengthening your relationship with powerful people at the top.
There are also lots of other unfavourable things that comes with being an employee, such as
- Trying your best to be heard.
- Coping with slackers as they tend to affect your own productivity.
- Avoiding disagreements with your co workers.
- Dealing with office bullies that cause stress and anxieties for you because they see you as a threat. Why won’t you report? Oh, you can’t. For Fear of retaliation or dismissal.
- Coping with office Gossipers and Trouble Makers. They are disruptive and they cause misunderstandings.
- Some people are just there to harm your morale through their attitude of constant complaint because they tend to see the negative side of everything.
- There are also Saboteurs and Backstabbers that deliberately withhold important information from their “rivals”.
- Trying your best to maintain your integrity by not compromising based on people’s request.
- Problems with a boss because of personality differences or work style which could be physically and emotionally draining.
- Harassment and Discrimination.
- Being passed over for promotion.
- Being stuck in “Glass Ceiling” situation, whereby you have advanced as far as you could possibly go with your current employer. But you are just there looking through the ceiling to the next career level.
- Being stuck in pigeon-holed, a situation whereby you have been considered as s person who is very skilled in only some certain areas and not considered for any other type of work at your workplace. This might hinder you from progressing or move up to a new and better direction in your career. Then you end up being stuck in your current role at work.
The Way Out
Wait, is there a way out? Maybe. If you are experiencing any of the above at your place for work, it is something you could discuss with your supervisor.
You could ask him why some things are the way they are with you and ask for what you would have to start doing differently. But it can’t be all of them.
The ones about gossips, slackers, backstabbers or trying to avoid compromise are something you would have to deal with yourself.
Others are something you would have to overcome though personal developments, getting some additional training and volunteering to take on more projects or responsibilities.
You can also change your routine or pursue an interest outside your work. You also might have to work harder to prove your worth, be promoted or properly get along with your boss.
Thinking about quitting? No need to be hasty. The job market is very tight. I am sure you know that already, just reminding you. You should try all you can to make your current job work.
If you think your job is bad, many people are outside waiting for it, even with your salary slashed into two. Look at the picture of tooth brush complaining to tissue paper about it’s job. That is the current situation in Nigeria now.
If you interview successful career men and women, I am certain they all have one story or the other to tell about their journey up their career ladders.
But some things are just not worth it.
If you have tried all the above but the situation can’t be resolved and you are still stuck in glass ceiling or pigeon-holed, then it is time to get a new job. Network with people that you can trust to be discreet in helping you look for another job. Just do not burn bridges with your current employer after you might have gotten the job.
Experience has taught people that being an employee and loyal to your company or whatever organisation you are working for does not mean that the organisation /company would automatically be loyal to you in return. It is even worse with government jobs, especially in Nigeria.
This might even be an opportunity for you to stop working on someone else’ dreams and start something for yourself. If you see your current job or whatever you are doing currently as just a means to an end, well that is bad. That shouldn’t be the way to live the rest of your life.
This is what I am talking about HERE.
You can do better. You can stop struggling and thrive. You can own your life. If you are unhappy with your job, just quit. The most important thing is that you have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. You should not allow the noise of others’ opinion drown out your own inner voice. People are waiting to hear what your inner voice is saying in the big way. Let your own voice be heard too.